School Support Services

School Liaison Office (SLO)

Monday 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Tuesday 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Wednesday 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Thursday 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Friday 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Saturday Closed
Sunday Closed
Federal Holidays Closed


Bldg. 36000, Darnall Loop
1st Floor, Left Corridor - Room 101
Google Map

+1 (254)288-7946 or +1 (254)553-3340

Military DSN Tel:

Write an ICE comment

School Support Services

School Support Services (SSS) provides Army school-aged youth with educational opportunities, resources and information necessary to achieve academic success. A branch of Child and Youth Services (CYS), SSS is home to the School Liaison Office, where School Liaison Officers (SLOs) help deliver the best educational resources and information for your children. 

We specialize in education transitions, and make sure incoming and exiting Families have information about local schools, graduation requirements, after-school services/programs, youth sponsorship programs and home schooling. We also help parents better understand the education process, school organization and interaction strategies.


CYS Inclement Weather Plan How does inclement weather affect Child and Youth Services openings? Due to the unpredictable nature of Texas weather, we encourage you to become familiar with the CYS Inclement Weather Plan and how it might affect you and child care arrangements.

How SLO's Can Help
  • Build relationships and facilitate communication among Army Families and the local school community 
  • Inform and assist parents with school transitions and deployment challenges
  • Establish school and community partnerships
  • Facilitate access to home school resources for parents
  • Provide information about college and other post-secondary opportunities and preparation materials
  • Inform and assist parents on youth education and school issues

Check out our SLO brochure

CYS Facebook Page

Schools Council Meeting (SCM)

Schools Council (SC)

Working group Created Resources

The Schools Council Meeting provides an opportunity for local schools and the military community to work together.  The SCM involves a variety of stakeholders to share education related information and listen to concerns expressed by parents of military-connected students.  This team will also enhance the ability of Fort Hood leaders and the Independent School District (ISD) administrators to make informed decisions related to issues of concern for military Families.

The Schools Council will also serve to promote quality educational environments for all students.  The meeting is chaired by the Garrison Commander and co-chaired by the DFMWR Director or Deputy Director.  It provides an opportunity for all Soldiers, regardless of rank, both active duty and retired, living on or off post, civilian employees, and Family members, to raise issues and concerns.  Once identified, issues are forwarded to the Schools Council Working Groups to develop solutions.  Outcomes from the Working Groups are shared with the Partners in Education Process Action Team (PIE PAT) and with all surrounding ISDs.  

The SCM is comprised of unit representatives, school district representatives (Superintendent, Executive Officer, Deputy or Assistant Superintendent), School Liaison Officers (SLOs), and subject matter experts (SMEs). 

This meeting is open to the public. 

Partners In Education Process Action Team (PIE PAT)

The PIE PAT provides an opportunity for local schools and the military community to work together.  The intent is to involve a variety of stakeholders to develop solutions to ensure the smooth relocation of school-age children of military Families.  This team will also enhance the Commander’s ability to make informed decisions related to issues of concern with education.

The PIE PAT will follow the Schools Council meeting. The meetings are conducted at the executive level and are not open to the public.  The PIE PAT members will discuss issues and define strengths, weaknesses and solutions to overcome those weaknesses.

The PIE PAT will be comprised of the following members: Commanding General or representative, superintendent from each Independent School District, Garrison Leadership, Brigade Leadership representatives, Director FMWR, CYS Chief, School Liaison Officers (SLOs), Military Family Life Consultant (MFLC) representative, Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP) representative, invited senior spouses, Military Child Education Coalition (MCEC) representative, and other Subject Matter Experts (SMEs), as applicable.

The PIE PAT members gather information in order to communicate accurate and timely information to parents and schools.  They will also discuss issues from the Schools Council Meeting and the outcomes of the Schools Council Working Groups.  

November 8, 2017

Area Independent School Districts • On and Off Post

The On-Post School Locator identifies which school your child(ren) will attend.

Killeen ISD • Calendar

Copperas Cove ISD • Calendar

Belton ISD • Calendar

Florence ISD • Calendar

Salado ISD • Calendar

Temple ISD • Calendar

Gatesville ISD • Calendar

Lampasas ISD • Calendar

Jarrell ISDCalendar

Documents Needed to Register Your Child in Public School
  • Student's Birth Certificate
  • Student's Social Security number
  • Student's Immunization Record
  • Proof of Residency (housing letter)
  • Current IEP (if applicable)
  • Most recent report card 
  • Student's Immunization Record

Document Checklist for Schools

Home School

Home Schooling has become mainstream and widely-used. We offer resources and information to help you provide quality home-based education.

Home School Legal Defense Association provides information on home school law, and general support and information about homeschooling.

Transferring to a Public School the State of Texas does not award a diploma to students that are homeschooled. Homeschooled student can enter public school at any time but should be aware that most districts have policies and procedures in place to assess the masterly level of courses that students in homeschools have taken. The results of the assessment may be used for grade placement or award of credit or both.

State of Texas Education Resources

State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness (STARR)

State Requirements for Graduation

Texas Education Agency Home Schooling

Texas Education Agency

Special Education in Texas

Texas Virtual Academy


Special Education Information

If you have a child with special needs, we can help you find information about the resources available in your school district. We can also help you connect with your local installation’s Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP) office. The EFMP is a mandatory enrollment program that works with other military and civilian agencies to provide comprehensive, coordinated, community support in areas such as housing, medical, educational and personal services to Families with special needs.


Exceptionl Family Member Program

Monday 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Tuesday 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Wednesday 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Thursday 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Friday 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Saturday Closed
Sunday Closed


The Rivers Building, 761st Tank Battalion Avenue and T.J. Mills Boulevard
Bldg. 121
Google Map

+1 (254)287-6070

Military DSN Tel:

Write an ICE comment

Additional EFMP Information


Your Questions Answered Video

  1. How do I know that my child's Special Education Teacher is qualified to meet the needs of my child?
  2. How do I find out about my child's teacher certification?
  3. Once the Special Education Teacher has their certification, how do they stay current with up-to-date information?

I am new to Texas, What do I need to know about Special Education Video

References and Resources for Special Education

Highly mobile children are entitled to an expedited process, including: a). evaluations in 30 days instead of 60 days, b) removed delays due to school district schedules for families moving during incomplete screenings, c) continued Extended School Year for students moving in the summer.

The Center for Parent Information and Resources offers education, acronyms, tools, webinars and a directory of local Parent and Information Training Centers to help parents advocate for their children. The center focuses on proactive support and personal accountability. 

Military OneSource has a range of resources to help with caring for a family member with special needs including education, health care, legal, financial points of contact, EFMP, School Liaisons, etc.

Military Community & Family Policy Office of Special Needs provides a directory of age-specific resources and States-at-a-Glance for localized special education resources and information.

Free Army sponsored online training for educators and parents on a host of special education topics at

DirectSTEP course listing 

DirectSTEP registration


Transition Support

We understand that military transitions for children include much more than school plans and enrollment. We have a number of resources to help make your move as easy as possible for the kids, including:

Military Kids Connect provides online age-appropriate resources to help parents, teachers and children cope with the unique challenges of military life.

The Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Children (MIC3) addresses key transition issues military Families experience, including enrollment, placement, attendance, eligibility and graduation. All fifty states have signed the compact and are in varying stages of implementation and/or compliance. The compact applies to children of Active Duty service members, National Guard and Reserve members on active duty orders and members or veterans who are medically discharged or retired within past year. Read more. 

School Transition Information: School Liaison Officers are located on each installation to assist military Families with school transition and other education-related issues.  Go to Army OneSource for more information.

Military Youth on the Move the Department of Defense designed Military Youth on the Move as one-stop shop for parents and students with moves and deployment.

SLO Transition Letter


The Teen Sponsorship program helps relocate youth to become familiar with their new home at Fort Hood and assists teens when moving to a new post. Each quarter a Hail & Farewell event is held.

Youth Centers are always looking for new teen sponsors. To participate, please contact the School Liaison Office (SLO).


School Transition and Support Video

Military Family Life Counselors (MFLC)

Regional Supervisor

Ms. Edmond
MFLC Program, Magellan Health Services

+1 (512)745-9938

PDF Version

MFLC are currently in 34 schools located within Killeen Independent School District.

On Post Elementary: 5
Clarke ES • Clear Creek ES • Meadows ES • Montague ES • Venable ES
Off Post Elementary: 21
Alice Douse ES • Bellaire ES • Brookhaven E5 • Cedar Valley ES • Haynes ES • lduma ES Joseph Fowler ES • Maxdale ES • Mountainview ES • Nolanville ES • Pershing Park ES Reeces Creek ES • Saegert ES • Skipcha ES • Timber Ridge ES • Trimmier ES
Willow Springs ES • CLements/Hollie Parsons ES • J.L. WIlliams/Lovett Ledger ES • Mae Stevens early Learning Academy • Martin Walker ES
On Post Middle School: l
Audie Murphy MS
Off Post Middle SchooI: 7
Charles Patterson MS • Liberty Hill MS • Live Oak Ridge MS • Manor MS
Palo Alto MS • Roy J Smith MS • SC Lee JH
High School: 4 
Ellison HS • Harker Heights HS • Killeen HS • Shoemaker HS

MFLC are

•    Masters or Doctorate-level licensed counselors specializing in child and youth behavioral issues.
•    Available at no cost to assist children and youth, parents, family members and staff of child and youth programs.
•    Available to provide short-term, non-­medical counseling support. 

Issue adressed:

  • School adjustment
  • Deployment and separation
  • Reunion adjustment
  • Sibling and parent-child communication
  • Behavioral concerns
  • Fear, grief and loss

MFLCs Provide a wide range of support to military children and youth, family members and staff who work with children by

 -  Engaging in activities with children and youth.
 -  Providing behavioral interventions in classrooms, at camps, and in Child Development Centers to assist staff in setting and managing boundaries.
 -  Model behavioral techniques and provide feedback to staff.
 -  Being available to parents and staff to discuss interactions with children and other concerns.
 -  Facilitating psytho-educational groups. 

Services are private and confidential with the exception of child abuse/neglect, domestic abuse and other duty-to-warn situations.

Academic and Behavioral Support

We can help you find information and resources for academic and behavioral support, including: for U.S. Military Families makes live tutors available online 24/7 to help with more than forty core subjects and standardized test preparation.  

Homework Support: Army Child & Youth Services provides homework labs in before/after school programs for elementary students at the School Age Center, and for middle and high school students at the Youth Center. 

Support/Resilience Programs:  School Support Services include information about other programs you can use for support and resilience-related issues.

Military Family Life Counselors (MFLCs) are available to meet in-person on or off the military installation. The free non-medical sessions are anonymous and may occur in individual, couple, family or group settings. Child Behavioral Specialists are located on the installation in Child & Youth Services programs, and in highly-impacted schools located on and off the installation.

Military OneSource has access to free non-medical counseling that’s anonymous and available online, by phone or in person. Twelve free sessions may occur in individual, couple, family or group settings.

Real Warriors is a multimedia behavioral health support center with tips for helping children cope with deployments and reunions.

National Military Family Association produces MyMilitaryLife, a free iPhone and Android app that provides Families with credible information tailored to your needs. 

Army One Source

"You Made the Grade" Program is designed to reward students, 1st -12th grade, for above-average academic achievement and to inspire them to work that much harder. Recognizing the student's academic accomplishments offers the Exchange an opportunity to make a contribution to the military community quality of life.

Qualifying students can receive a coupon booklet by presenting a valid military ID card and proof of an overall "B" or better average to their local Exchange. If a child is homeschooled, the student should provide written affirmation of their scholastic aptitude from a parent or other community-authorized education provider. Each coupon booklet contains an entry form for the Exchange gift card sweepstakes along with coupons that can be redeemed at Exchange facilities.

Post Secondary Support

Our support doesn’t end with elementary education. If you have children preparing for academic life after high school, we can help you find information about testing opportunities, scholarships and military-specific resources that can help you plan.

Military-Specific and Government Academic Support information: G.I. Bill

Transferability of Educational Benefits:

In-State Tuition Programs for Military: Service members on active duty for a period of more than thirty days and their dependents are eligible to receive in-state tuition at many public colleges and universities in the state where they reside or are permanently stationed. An enrolled dependent may pay in-state tuition as long as he or she remains continuously enrolled at the institution, even if the service member is reassigned outside of the state. Regulations outlined in the Higher Education Opportunity Act, 2008 (P.L 110 - 135) and the Higher Education Act of 1965

College and Career Readiness: College and career readiness includes the content knowledge, skills and habits that students must have to be successful in post-secondary education. It also includes training that leads to a sustaining career. A student who is ready for college and career can qualify for and succeed in entry-level, credit-bearing college courses without needing remedial or developmental coursework.

Let us help you plan for your child’s college and career readiness:

College and Career Readiness

College and Career Readiness and Success 

Counselor Connection 

Army One Source Military Scholarship Handbook

Ft. Hood Post Secondary Support

Education Services Division

Soldier Development Center
Bldg. 33009 761st Tank Battalion Ave
Google Map

+1 (254)287-4824

Additional ESD Services

Lead Counselor

Jennifer Anderson
Room G218

+1 (254)288-6313

Testing Officer

Ruth Riggins
Room D200

+1 (254)287-7605

College Programs Manager

Frances Judkins
Room G243

+1 (254)287-4844

Career Skills Program Manager

Roland Larson
Room G261

+1 (254)287-6518

Building Manager

Ivan Negron
Room G239B

+1 (254)287-0615

Facility Reservations

James Stockman
Room D100

+1 (254)287-2986

Multi-Use Learning Facility

Computer Lab
Room H206


Central Texas College Counselor

Room G256

+1 (254)287-8126

Charter and Private Schools

Charter Schools 

A charter school is a type of public school. The Texas Legislature
authorized the establishment of charter schools in 1995. 

There are four types of charters in Texas. They include:

  1. Subchapter B Home-rule School District Charters - There are no home-rule school district charters in Texas.
  2. Subchapter C Campus or Campus Program Charters - Independent school districts authorize and oversee these charters.
  3. Subchapter D Open-enrollment Charters - Most charters in Texas fall under this category. The commissioner authorizes these charters. Before SB 2 passed in 2013, the State Board of Education (SBOE) was the authorizer.
  4. Subchapter E University or Junior College Charters - The commissioner authorizes Subchapter E charters. Eligible entities include public colleges and universities.

Charter schools are subject to fewer state laws than other public schools. The reduced legislation encourages more innovation and allows more flexibility, though state law does require fiscal and academic accountability from charter schools. The state monitors and accredits charter schools just as the state accredits school districts.

Charter Schools PDF

Private Schools

Texas Education Agency  does not have oversight of private schools in Texas; however, the agency works with the Texas Private School Accreditation Commission to ensure that students can easily transfer from non-public to public schools and that teacher service at non-public schools is recognized at public schools for salary purposes. Private schools may be accredited by a variety of organizations, but many private schools in Texas are not accredited by any organization.

Graduation Information


Endorsements Frequently Asked Questions


  1. Does every student have to graduate with an endorsement?
    No. A student may opt to graduate Foundation High School Program only without an endorsement if, after the student's sophomore year the student and the student's parent or guardian are advised by a school counselor of the specific benefits of graduating from high school with one or more endorsements and the student's parent or guardian files with a school counselor written permission, on a form adopted by the Texas Education Agency (TEA), allowing the student to graduate under the Foundation High School Program without earning an endorsement.

  2. Can a student earn more than one endorsement?
    Yes. A district must allow a student to enroll in courses under more than one endorsement before the student's junior year.

  3. Can a student change endorsements? When?
    Yes. While a district is not required to offer all endorsements, a district must allow a student to choose, at any time, to earn an endorsement other than the endorsement the student previously indicated from among the available endorsements.

  4. I’m concerned that my small district cannot offer endorsements. What endorsements should a district be able to offer?
    Without altering the courses that a school district is currently required by SBOE rule to offer, a district should be able to offer at least three of the five endorsements.

    Multidisciplinary (all districts are required to offer at least four courses in each foundation subject area, to include English IV, Chemistry, and/or Physics)

    Business and Industry (TAC, §74.3(b)(2)(G) requires a district to offer a coherent sequences of courses from at least three CTE career clusters)

    STEM (TAC, §74.3(b)(2)(C) requires a district to offer at least six science courses)

  5. Will all high schools be required to offer multiple endorsements, even those that focus 100% on STEM/engineering?

  6. No. Statute requires each school district to make available to high school students courses that allow a student to complete the curriculum requirements for at least one endorsement. A school district that offers only one endorsement curriculum must offer the multidisciplinary studies endorsement curriculum.

  7. The new graduation rules include the following statement, “This section does not entitle a student to remain enrolled to earn more than 26 credits.” Does this mean that a student cannot earn more than 26 credits?
    No. This statement means that a student is not entitled to continue earning credits to earn endorsements indefinitely. A district may permit a student to earn more than 26 credits, but has the authority to deny a student’s request to continue earning credits beyond the 26 if the district determines that the student has sufficient credits to graduate with an endorsement.

  8. May a course satisfy both a foundation and an endorsement requirement?
    Yes. A course completed as part of the set of four courses needed to satisfy an endorsement requirement may also satisfy a requirement under the Foundation High School Program, including an elective requirement. A student must still earn a total of 26 credits to graduate on the Foundation High School Program with an endorsement.

  9. Do districts have the authority to require Algebra II or other specific courses for all endorsements?
    Yes. School districts have the authority to establish requirements in addition to what the state requires of students for graduation. This is a local decision.

  10. Who decides what constitutes a coherent sequence of courses?
    Each local school district has the authority to determine a coherent sequence of courses and identify courses within that sequence as advanced courses for the purposes of satisfying an endorsement requirement, provided that prerequisites are followed.

  11. In some endorsement options there doesn’t seem to be a clear sequence. Will the district determine the sequence in these cases?
    Yes. A school district determines the specific set of courses each student must complete to earn an endorsement, provided that prerequisites are followed and that the set of courses meets the requirements of the options listed for an endorsement in SBOE rule.

  12. Should planning be approached by picking an endorsement and then planning the courses necessary to obtain that particular endorsement, or should it be approached by first picking courses and then discovering which endorsement area the sequence fits (at a later time)?
    This is a local decision.

  13. Are students required to meet each of the options listed under an endorsement area, or they required to only meet one of the options?
    To earn an endorsement a student must complete any specific course requirements and one set of requirements identified in the endorsement rules. For example, to earn a business and industry endorsement, a student must complete the course requirements for CTE or the course requirements for English language arts electives, but not both.

  14. Under the endorsements for which CTE courses are an option, is there a list of “advanced CTE courses that are the third or higher course in a sequence”?
    There is not a list of such courses. A school district may define advanced CTE courses keeping in mind the requirement that the course be the third or higher course in a sequence.

  15. Can Career Preparation be used as the final course in a sequence for an endorsement for which there are CTE course options?
    No. Career Preparation may be used as one of the courses in the coherent sequence, but the final course must come from one of the career clusters listed in the rule.

  16. If a student takes two CTE courses in his/her final semester, each from a different endorsement area, which endorsement would the student earn?
    If a student takes two CTE courses that align with two different endorsement areas, the local school district must determine which course is part of the coherent sequence of courses for that student. The career cluster of that course would determine which endorsement the student earns. This is a local decision.


  1. Can AP Physics I satisfy the physics requirement for the STEM endorsement?
    Yes. College Board Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate courses may be substituted as appropriate for required courses.

  2. Can Principles of Technology satisfy the physics requirement in the STEM endorsement?
    Yes. Principles of Technology addresses all of the TEKS for physics and credit may not be earned for both physics and Principles of Technology to satisfy science credit requirements.

  3. The fifth option under the STEM endorsement says “a coherent sequence of three additional credits.” What does this mean?
    Students may earn a STEM endorsement by successfully completing Algebra II and three additional credits from no more than two of the following categories: the STEM CTE career cluster, computer science courses that may satisfy a STEM endorsement, mathematics courses beyond Algebra II, or science courses. The three additional credits must be a coherent sequence of courses as determined by the local district.

  4. Which science courses may satisfy the science option under the STEM endorsement?
    The list of science courses that may satisfy a STEM endorsement are identified in TAC §74.13(e)(5).

  5. Why is there a discrepancy between the number of courses required to earn a math STEM endorsement and the number of courses required to earn a science STEM endorsement?
    There is not a discrepancy in the number of courses. To earn a STEM endorsement in mathematics, a student must successfully complete a total of five courses: Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II, and two additional math courses for which Algebra II is a prerequisite. To earn a STEM endorsement in science, a student must successfully complete a total of five courses: biology, chemistry, physics, and two additional science courses.

Business and Industry

  1. If a student on a business and industry endorsement program chooses a computer programming language to meet the foundation program Languages Other Than English (LOTE) requirement, will these courses satisfy both the LOTE requirement and the endorsement requirement under the Information Technology career cluster?
    No. The computer programming courses that are part of CTE are not options for satisfying the LOTE requirement. The only courses that are currently approved to satisfy the LOTE requirement are Computer Science I, II, and III. These courses may satisfy the LOTE requirement and may count toward a STEM endorsement, but not a business and industry endorsement. A student must still earn a total of 26 credits to graduate on the Foundation High School Program with an endorsement.

Public Services

  1. May a student seeking a public services endorsement who is taking a sequence of courses in the Human Services career cluster use a course from another career cluster as part of the coherent sequence of courses?
    Yes. A coherent sequence of courses may include courses from any CTE career cluster provided that the final course in the sequence is obtained from one of the CTE career clusters identified under the public services endorsement. Districts must determine locally that courses from different career clusters create a coherent sequence of courses.

Arts and Humanities

  1. Is it permissible to substitute an additional arts and humanities course for the fourth science requirement if the student is pursuing an arts and humanities endorsement?
    A student pursuing an arts and humanities endorsement who has the written permission of the student’s parent may substitute an English language arts course, a social studies course, a LOTE course, or a fine arts course for the additional science credit required to earn an endorsement.

  2. Under the arts and humanities endorsement, if a student has taken English IV, can it count as part of the four English elective credits?
    Yes. A course completed as part of the set of four courses needed to satisfy an endorsement requirement may also satisfy a requirement under the Foundation High School Program, including an elective requirement. A student must still earn a total of 26 credits to graduate Foundation High School Program with an endorsement.

  3. How many social studies courses are required for a student to earn an arts and humanities endorsement?
    The social studies option under arts and humanities requires that a student complete five credits in social studies.

Multidisciplinary Studies

  1. Under the multidisciplinary studies endorsement, what courses will satisfy the requirement for “four advanced courses that prepare a student to enter the workforce successfully or postsecondary education without remediation”?
    Each local school district has the authority to identify advanced courses for the purposes of satisfying an endorsement requirement, provided that they meet the definition above.

Frequently Asked Questions

What are Common Core State Standards and Assessments?

The Common Core State Standards (CCSS) focus on developing the critical-thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills that students need for entry-level careers, freshman college courses and workforce training programs. The standards detail what K-12 students should know at the end of each grade. Most states and the Department of Defense Education Activity (DoDEA) have adopted the standards in English Language Arts and mathematics. There are two assessments being developed to measure student success (Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College and Careers and Smarter Balanced). The decision of which assessment to use is determined by individual state education agencies.  


What is a Unique Military Child Identifier? Numerous states have enacted a voluntary report-only self-identification of military children within their public school systems. This data collection would allow monitoring of critical elements such as academic progress and proficiency, special and advanced program participation, mobility and dropout rates. Requirements and methods of collection vary from state to state.


What are Department of Defense Education Activity (DoDEA) Schools?  DoDEA is a civilian agency of the Department of Defense that manages schools for military children (pre-kindergarten through K12) on a limited number of installations in the United States and worldwide. DoDEA operates the Domestic Dependent Elementary and Secondary Education Schools (DDESS) within the U.S. and the Department of Defense Dependents Schools (DoDDS) overseas. While DoDEA schools do not fall under federal education programs like No Child Left Behind (the Elementary and Secondary Education Act - ESEA) there is a formal agreement between the Department of Education and the Department of Defense that provides for cooperative arrangements. DoDEA schools use the Common Core State Standards and follow the accountability guidelines mandated for all public schools receiving ESEA funds.