- Weapons and Rules about Bringing them Onto Post
Bringing Weapons onto Post
Anyone wishing to bring weapons onto post must register at the Visitor Welcome Center. All persons transporting firearms are subject to registration requirements and must carry Fort Hood Form 190-19. You must declare firearms at the gate and they must be registered. All gates are open to registered firearms carriers.
Borrowing Weapons to Hunt
Individuals can "loan" their weapons to individuals to use. The individual who borrows a weapon must present a copy of the weapons registration and, a letter from the owner of the weapon stating he is allowing the person to borrow their weapon.
- Sportsmen's Center Pro Shop
Monday 8 a.m. - 3 p.m. (January through July) 8 a.m. - 6 p.m. (August through December) Tuesday 8 a.m. - 3 p.m. (January through July) 8 a.m. - 6 p.m. (August through December) Wednesday 8 a.m. - 3 p.m. (January through July) 8 a.m. - 6 p.m. (August through December) Thursday 8 a.m. - 6 p.m. Friday 8 a.m. - 6 p.m. Saturday 7 a.m. - 6 p.m. Sunday 7 a.m. - 6 p.m. July 4th, Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve & Christmas Day, New Year's Eve Closed
- Fishing, including bait
- Skeet shooting
- State hunting and fishing licenses
- Fort Hood hunting and fishing permits
- Hunting Requirements
Check with us about hunting and fishing requirements on Fort Hood. Our office also administers programs for guns and archery, and annual turkey and deer hunt programs.
Soldiers are entitled to a free state "Super Combo" License with proof of 6 months Texas residency.
- Service record indicating that Texas is the home of record or, that the person’s duty station for the six months immediately prior to the time of application was in Texas.
Fort Hood Permit
- Cat I / Active Duty E1-E4: $48
- Cat I / Active Duty E5 and above: $65
- Cat II / Retirees and DoD Civilians: $65
- Cat III / Pure Civilians: $125
- Youth Big Game Permit (all categories): $15
- Special 5-Day Permit (all categories/not for big game): $40
- Register at the Provost Marshal's Office at the corner of 58th St. and Battalion Ave., or at the Visitor’s Center at the main gate. All guns must be registered including black powder and muzzleloaders. Tel: +1 254-287-4001
- NOTICE: 190-11, October 2015 — Firearm registrations will have a 4-year expiration date.
Hunter Education Certificate
- Take the free version of the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TPWD) online course.
- Print out the results of your quizzes and bring them to a scheduled class below.
2017 TPWD Hunter Education at Fort Hood Class Schedule
Day Date Time Course Saturday March 18 8 a.m. Basic, 6 hours + Saturday March 18 10 a.m. Enhanced, 4.5 hours + Sunday March 19 12 p.m. Enhanced, 4.5 hours + Saturday April 8 8 a.m. Basic, 6 hours + Saturday April 8 10 a.m. Enhanced, 4.5 hours + Saturday May 20 8 a.m. Basic, 6 hours + Saturday May 20 10 a.m. Enhanced, 4.5 hours + Saturday July 15 8 a.m. Basic, 6 hours + Saturday July 15 10 a.m. Enhanced, 4.5 hours + Saturday August 19 8 a.m. Basic, 6 hours + Saturday August 19 10 a.m. Enhanced, 4.5 hours + Sunday August 20 12 p.m. Enhanced, 4.5 hours + Saturday September 16 8 a.m. Basic, 6 hours + Saturday September 16 10 a.m. Enhanced, 4.5 hours + Sunday September 17 12 p.m. Enhanced, 4.5 hours + Saturday October 21 8 a.m. Basic, 6 hours + Saturday October 21 10 a.m. Enhanced, 4.5 hours + Sunday October 22 12 p.m. Enhanced, 4.5 hours + Saturday November 18 8 a.m. Basic, 6 hours + Saturday November 18 10 a.m. Enhanced, 4.5 hours + Sunday November 19 12 p.m. Enhanced, 4.5 hours + Saturday December 16 8 a.m. Basic, 6 hours + Saturday December 16 10 a.m. Enhanced, 4.5 hours +
- Fishing Requirements
The Department of Public Works Natural Resources Branch coordinates with Texas Parks and Wildlife to stock lakes and ponds on Fort Hood. During the summer, certain ponds are stocked with catfish.
- State Fishing License — Available at the Sportsmen's Center. +1 (254)532-4552
- Area Access Card — Available at Area Access Control in the Sportsmen's Center Pro Shop. +1 (254)287-5847
- Fort Hood Fishing Permit $17 — Available at the Sportsmen's Center. +1 (254)532-4552
Possession and Transport of Exotic Aquatic Species
House Bill 1241 is now effective and includes 47 Texas counties (see below). Boats and kayaks in any body of water (not just Stillhouse or Belton Lakes) in Bell or Coryell Counties must drain and dry for at least one week before entering any other body of water.
"Live fish cannot be transported in water that comes from the water body where they were caught. Personally-caught live bait can be used only in the water body where it was caught." For example, bait fish taken from Belton Lake and used in Nolan Lake can spread the juvenile Zebra Mussel. DPW Natural Resources will discontinue stocking any Fort Hood lake/pond that becomes infected with Zebra Mussels.
The 47 Counties: Archer, Bastrop, Bell, Bosque, Burnet, Clay, Collin, Comal, Comanche, Cooke, Coryell, Dallas, Denton, Eastland, Ellis, Erath, Falls, Fannin, Fayette, Freestone, Grayson, Hamilton, Hays, Henderson (west of Highway 19), Hill, Hood, Jack, Johnson, Kaufman, Leon, Limestone, Llano, McLennan, Montague, Navarro, Palo Pinto, Parker, Robertson, Rockwall, Somervell, Stephens, Tarrant, Travis, Wichita, Williamson, Wise, and Young counties.
- Skeet & Archery Range
The skeet & archery ranges are fun places to hone in your sporting skills. Visit our Skeet & Archery page for more information.
- Hunt & Saddle Equine Boarding
The 76-stall Hunt & Saddle Stables is located east of the Visitor Center at the main gate. The stables are designed for boarding privately-owned horses, a tack room and paddock for each horse. For additional information, call +1 (254)532-4552
January through July
|Monday||8 a.m. - 3 p.m.|
|Tuesday||8 a.m. - 3 p.m.|
|Wednesday||8 a.m. - 3 p.m.|
|Thursday||8 a.m. - 6 p.m.|
|Friday||8 a.m. - 6 p.m.|
|Saturday||7 a.m. - 6 p.m.|
|Sunday||7 a.m. - 6 p.m.|
|Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve & Christmas Day, New Year's Eve & New Year||Closed|
Contact us to learn about local hunting, fishing, archery, and the use of guns for skeet and trap shooting.
Don't forget to target your hunger with the Sportsmen's Center Grill for all your home-style breakfast and lunch items.
Area Access registration is required for everyone to access Fort Hood land to conduct any recreational activity. For information concerning Ticketable Offense, call +1 (254)287-5847
Your destination for the Hunter Check-in System, Hunter Permit System, Hunting Tracking System and much more. HuntTrac System
Stocking Report (updated July 26, 2017)