- 2020-2021 Fort Hood Hunting, Fishing and Area Access Guide
- Fish Stocking Report (updated August 2020)
- Weapons and Rules about Bringing them Onto Post
Bringing Weapons onto Post
Anyone wishing to bring weapons onto post must register at the Visitor Welcome Center. All persons transporting firearms are subject to registration requirements and must carry Fort Hood Form 190-19. You must declare firearms at the gate and they must be registered. All gates are open to registered firearms carriers.
Effective 10/4/2019: Security Guard Personnel will follow the below procedures for Privately Owned Weapons (POF):
- All persons bringing a Privately Owned Firearm (POF) onto Fort Hood entering through an Access Control Point must declare that they are bringing a POF on post and state the purpose for doing so to ACP Personnel.
- The DES stamped FH Form 190-19 must remain with the firearm at all times.
- If a firearm is declared, persons transporting the POF will be required to present the stamped registration form.
- Guard Personnel will validate the name of the person making the declaration presenting the FH Form 190-19 with their authorized Government issued Identification card.
- Upon validation of the ID presented with the valid FH Form 190-19 the person making the declaration may be granted access without additional checks.
- If there is a discrepancy in documentation presented or the guard suspects there is a need for additional checks and or verification registration form is not presented, Law enforcement will be contacted.
Borrowing Weapons to Hunt
Individuals can "loan" their weapons to individuals to use. The individual who borrows a weapon must present a copy of the weapons registration and, a letter from the owner of the weapon stating he is allowing the person to borrow their weapon.
- Hunting Requirements
Check with us about hunting and fishing requirements on Fort Hood. Our office also administers programs for guns and archery, and annual turkey and deer hunt programs.
State License New Hunting Year Licenses go on sale starting 15 August
Soldiers are entitled to a free state "Super Combo" License with proof of 6 months Texas residency.
- Service record indicating that Texas is the home of record or, that the person’s duty station for the six months immediately prior to the time of application was in Texas.
Fort Hood Permit
Hunting Active Duty E1-E4, $53
Hunting Active Duty E5 & Above, $70
Hunting Retirees/DoD Civilians, $70
Hunting Non-Affiliated Civilians, $130
Hunting Youth Big Game, $15
Hunting Youth Small Game, Free
Special Hunting 5-Day Small Game/Nongame, $45
- Register at the Provost Marshal's Office at the corner of 58th St. and Battalion Ave., or at the Visitor’s Center at the main gate. All guns must be registered including black powder and muzzleloaders. Tel: +1 254-287-4001
- NOTICE: 190-11, October 2015 — Firearm registrations will have a 4-year expiration date.
Hunter Education Certificate
Hunter education certification required to hunt on post. Proof of any state's certification is accepted. Course information available on Texas Parks & Wildlife
- Fishing Requirements
The Department of Public Works Natural Resources Branch coordinates with Texas Parks and Wildlife to stock lakes and ponds on Fort Hood. During the summer, certain ponds are stocked with catfish.
- State Fishing License — Available at the Sportsmen's Center. +1 (254)532-4552
- Area Access Card — Available at Area Access Control in the Sportsmen's Center Pro Shop. +1 (254)287-5847
- Fort Hood Fishing Permit $19 — Available at the Sportsmen's Center. +1 (254)532-4552
Possession and Transport of Exotic Aquatic Species
House Bill 1241 is now effective and includes 47 Texas counties (see below). Boats and kayaks in any body of water (not just Stillhouse or Belton Lakes) in Bell or Coryell Counties must drain and dry for at least one week before entering any other body of water.
"Live fish cannot be transported in water that comes from the water body where they were caught. Personally-caught live bait can be used only in the water body where it was caught." For example, bait fish taken from Belton Lake and used in Nolan Lake can spread the juvenile Zebra Mussel. DPW Natural Resources will discontinue stocking any Fort Hood lake/pond that becomes infected with Zebra Mussels.
The 47 Counties: Archer, Bastrop, Bell, Bosque, Burnet, Clay, Collin, Comal, Comanche, Cooke, Coryell, Dallas, Denton, Eastland, Ellis, Erath, Falls, Fannin, Fayette, Freestone, Grayson, Hamilton, Hays, Henderson (west of Highway 19), Hill, Hood, Jack, Johnson, Kaufman, Leon, Limestone, Llano, McLennan, Montague, Navarro, Palo Pinto, Parker, Robertson, Rockwall, Somervell, Stephens, Tarrant, Travis, Wichita, Williamson, Wise, and Young counties.
- Skeet & Archery Range
Rod and Gun Club Loop BLDG 1937
Skeet and Trap Range, Sat 9 a .m. - 3 p.m.
Sportsmen's Center Archery Range, Available 30 Minutes After Sunrise to 30 Minutes Prior Sunset -- A pass must be obtained prior to use during Pro Shop Hours T-F 9 a.m. - 3 p.m., Sat & Sun 8 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Closed July 4th, Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year's Eve & New Year
The skeet & archery ranges are fun places to hone in your sporting skills. Visit our Skeet & Archery page for more information.
- Hunt & Saddle Equine Boarding
The 76-stall Hunt & Saddle Stables is located east of the Visitor Center at the main gate. The stables are designed for boarding privately-owned horses, a tack room and paddock for each horse. For additional information, call +1 (254)532-4552
Contact us to learn about local hunting, fishing, archery, and the use of guns for skeet and trap shooting. New Year Hunting Licenses are on sale now. Our Pro Shop is stocked with your hunting, fishing, bait, skeet, licenses and permit needs. Don't forget to target your hunger with the Sportsmen's Center Grill for all your home-style breakfast and lunch items.
Area Access registration is required for everyone to access Fort Hood land to conduct any recreational activity. For information concerning Ticketable Offense, call +1 (254)287-5847
Your destination for the Hunter Check-in System, Hunter Permit System, Hunting Tracking System and much more. HuntTrac System